Friday, May 11

How Erin Got Her Groove Back


*I’ve never actually seen that movie (How Stella Got Her Groove Back) but I liked the title idea.

You may or may not know that I grew up dancing. I did the recitals, performed in the shows, competed with my teams, attended the conferences, etc. I was involved at my local dance studio and on the dance team during high school.  I even continued dancing for fun in the first few years of college. But I haven’t danced since then, save for a few Zumba classes at the gym. I was trained in ballet, jazz, hip-hop, and lyrical (contemporary). I even dabbled in Latin dance during college. And as of yesterday I have added African dance to the ole resume. Somehow, much to our dismay, Sarah and I have been coerced into joining several ladies in a dance for the 11th Anniversary Celebration Sunday at UCF.

Initially we felt strongly about not wanting to perform. Sarah and I politely refused the first several times we were approached about dancing. A) I know nothing about African dance (except for watching many seasons of So You Think You Can Dance which does kinda make me an expert). B) I didn’t want to distract from the other dancers because everyone would just watch the white lady. But after several more refusals were rebutted by a lot of convincing, Sarah and I will be performing next Sunday. This should be interesting.

In other dance related news, I have also been requested to lead a yoga and/or dance class for some ladies at the UCF gym. The last missionary who was at UCF led a yoga class and the ladies here really loved it. It was a great time of fellowship, fun, and fitness (like that alliteration?). When she left (she was here a year or so) the class ceased too. And they have been missing it ever since. So Dinah, one of the ladies on UCF staff, asked me to start up the class again. Although I have done my fair share of dancing in years past and taken my fair share of yoga/pilates/Zumba classes at the gym, I am in no way qualified to teach. But there’s a need and I’m here and I said yes. So I’ll use all the dance moves and yoga positions I can muster and pray for a huge helping of God’s grace, strength, courage, and endurance (because it’s been more than a few months since I hit the gym, yikes). And if it is at all successful then it’s all because God is working it out through me.

Get it? Working it out? Like a workout… 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! I eagerly await a video of next Sunday's performance... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/23/2012

    The picture of the little black hand on Trey's big white one is so very sweet! Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete