Sunday, April 15

Good Friday Reflections


Easter is always a significant time for me.  Well, it generally is for all believers but I have a special connection to the Lenten season.  9 years ago on Good Friday I acknowledged Jesus as Lord and Savior.  In some ways that night seems so long ago and in some ways like it was just the other day. 

It is amazing to think back on what God has done over the last 9 years.  I was a purposeless, hopeless, drug-fueled, teenager who only cared about the next good time and was guided by nothing but my emotions.  Now, those closest to me would describe me as passionate, dedicated to truth, loving, generous, and godly.  It might not sound so impressive to outsiders, 9 years is a long time and quite a bit of change it to be expected  But for me it is marvelous.  It is so worship-inspiring to sit back and think on who I was and who God is forming me to be.  Some of the changes might not be huge but knowing deeply how broken I am and how much it took for these changes to occur, I am moved to boast in the power of the cross.  The power to defeat sin in broken sinners like myself, and the power of the resurrection to bring new life.  I boast not in my work but in Him who works in me.  The One who began a work in me graciously allows me to see His work toward completion.  I have to say that God has used so many people along the way.  I have been blessed with such great pastors who have shepherded me well, friends who have loved, rebuked, and encouraged me along the way, and professors who have taught and modeled biblical truths.  I am so grateful for all of these people but infinitely more grateful for the God who can take what they have done and change this hard heart of mine. 

Praise to you Oh God, for what you did on the cross to accomplish my salvation. For bearing all my sins so that I need not die in them.  For taking all my guilt that I might not drown in them.  For raising to new life that I might not experience only death.  For defeating sin so that I might not live always in defeat of sin.  Father, I praise you for the earth shattering work you have done over the last 9 years, that you took this heart of stone and showed it life.  That you have shown yourself victorious through the defeat of sins in my life, King of kings, you do reign on High.  Forgive me for the many areas of rebellion still in my life.  Continue your victorious crusade, Oh Lion of Judah, defeating sin and bringing righteousness, defeating death and brining a life that is not from this age. That when you return I will join the multitudes proclaiming “Behold, this is our God; we have waited for Him, that he might save us.  This is the Lord; we have waited for Him; let us be glad and rejoice in His salvation.”

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/16/2012

    These are great words. Thank you for sharing your heart. I know God will continue to work in you and through you to do amazing things for His glory. I am praying for you, Erin, Kyle, and Sarah.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/18/2012

    The following really spoke to me. Especially the first part. I sometimes forget my Lord is the Lion of Judah....... what strength I can draw from this. Beautiful posting, beautiful reflection. Thanks for sharing. Charlie Jessup

    Continue your victorious crusade, Oh Lion of Judah, defeating sin and bringing righteousness, defeating death and bringing a life that is not from this age. That when you return I will join the multitudes proclaiming “Behold, this is our God; we have waited for Him, that he might save us. This is the Lord; we have waited for Him; let us be glad and rejoice in His salvation.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4/19/2012

      We too are thankful to God for the changes he has made in you.

      Mom and Dad

      Delete
  3. Treyfus,

    That post made me miss the heck out of you. I also made my heart swell with affection towards our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. May his gospel prevail in our lives and may his will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

    With much love to my dear brother,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete